Friday, March 23, 2007

So Much Great Music - So Young, The Year

I have to be honest, last year it was pretty hard coming up with a top ten, never mind a flippin' top twenty CD's.
This year has already lay witness to a pleathora, nay a cornucopia, nay a veritable shmorgasboard, nay a shitload.....well.... you know what I'm driving at. We have already seen the following contenders for "album of the year" with a mere 9 months left of 07.

The Shins - "Wincing The Night Away" : The third release from James Mercer and co. putting an exclamation point on that musical hatrick.

The Arcade Fire - "Neon Bible": Hype? Only time will really tell.....but while you're waiting for this wine to age to see if it turns ..... right now it's going down pretty sweetly.

If you like Big Star (and who doesn't?) and Cheap-Tricky power-pop goodness . . . the two latest releases from The Broken West - "I Can't Go On, I'll Go On" and Grand Champeen's "Dial T for This" are two EXCELLENT examples of everything that is right with indy rock.

Ladies? Perennial Faves Patty Griffin and Lucinda Williams have very strong releases this year as does "The Innocence Mission with "We Walked In Song" a number one contender if there ever was one. If you are not familiar with the Innocence Mission . . . you need to remedy that pronto tonto!

It's too early to tell if Modest Mouse have topped themselves with their latest release, but if you've heard the single "Dashboard" and it isn't stuck in your head . . . well... then you haven't heard it.

From the great Uncle Tupelo, The Son Volts and The Wilcos will duke it out for musical superiority this year releasing "The Search" and "Sky Blue Sky" respectively. What I've heard of "Search" is pretty good, but I have to give it to the soul-stirring Wilcos with their best release since "Being There".

I've also heard snippets from forthcoming discs by Fountains Of Wayne and golden voiced Grant Lee Phillips, both showing lots of promise.

If none of these do it for you . . . there's always that "Chinese Democracy"

9 comments:

Muddah said...

Are those real bands?

Anonymous said...

Hey Daddy....I don't suppose you'd want to help educate the Youth of this great state of Maine(?)If you'll be makin' Ol' BFC another annual "musical buffet" of good tunes (CD) maybe you could burn one for Ol' 2-D as well:) Our yougens sure could use the education and it does make my day go faster listenin' to delicious tunes. You could perhaps slide it to the wife of the Grumpy Chef (to forward it to me).

XOXO......2-D

Anonymous said...

Always happy to oblige a fellow music-lover 2-D! The following are available through flybynyt . .

"NOW That's what Daddy Calls Music" The Best of 2001

"St. Paul's Epiphany and 20 Other Revelations for the year 2002"

"Instant Cred" The best of 2003

"The Rock and Roll Ghosts of 2004"

"SpiceWorld" The Best of 2005 (currently unavailable)

"Beautiful Change, 2006 Quantified"
(currently unavailable)

"Respectable" The real "best-of" the stones and clones

"Cover This" - Kool covers

"Cover This Too" - More

"Way Gone Groovy Grooves" - Pop you should know.



As for Muddah . . . I used to be that way too. I hated listening to critics go on about bands that I'd never heard of. The problem is these bands ARE great and YOU would probably like them too if you got to hear them but you probably wont because lazy people work at the radio station that you listen to and have no interest in filling your ears with new music. If you name me three bands you like I can put together a CD of music that you will LOVE by no one you have ever heard of. Take the Daddy challenge.

Muddah said...

I'll take that challenge-

SRV,Buddy Guy, Johny Lang,Koko Taylor,Kenny Wayne Shepard,

Favorite station is Live365 electric blues Radio- http://www.live365.com/stations/electricblues

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is great! It's like having our very own "Music Guru"...or as I would say to my students....It's not "like" it is having our very own "Music Guru". It is dangerous (however) to put forth so many choices...I come from a glutenous stock of people...I could feast on all and be happy for more! I will leave the choosing up to you...most of my teens will listen with an open ear and heart (as long as I don't shut the music off!). Of course I get them at an early year to start, so I can warp them early.

Love ya Daddy...You're a good man for helpin' to educate our youth!

2-D

Anonymous said...

Hey what about me gang. Ol' Bigfoot Chester knows how to rock too. I hear there's this hot new band up in here called Aerosmith. The lead singer, dude, he like wears all these scarves all over him and his mike stand. It's awesome. huh? I could like totally hook you up!

BFC

Anonymous said...

Okay Muddah, gauntlet thrown. I will meet this challenge although I am not a big fan of the blues. I still feel I can whip you up a mix of folks you may have missed out on. If you have heard of said individuals I will expose you to something you were not aware that they were capable of.

2-D, I will hook you up as well.

BFC, I weep for the future.

Anonymous said...

Listen BFC....You Sarcastic Bastard! You used to be the Man to educate the youth but you haven't made me a new CD in a while.... This would work our great if I could get both BFC and Daddy on this; that would be Super-Duper!

Love yas both! 2-D

Anonymous said...

I have learned to embrace my uncoolness. It saves from embarrassing fauxpas around the water cooler at work, dropping outdated pop references to my younger co-workers. However, I can't seem to kick that 'white guy who talks like Snoop Dogg' bit. Foooooooo Shiiiiizzzzle.

BFC