Sunday, January 21, 2007

At risk I'll post this here...

I came across an interesting passage that would seem at home here:

And another essay on the American flag, also from 1901:

I am not finding fault with this use of our flag; for in order not to seem eccentric I have swung around, now, and joined the nation in the conviction that nothing can sully a flag. I was not properly reared, and the illusion that a flag was a thing which must be sacredly guarded against shameful uses and unclean contacts, lest it suffer pollution; and so when it was sent out to the Phillippines to float over a wanton war and a robbing expedition I supposed it was polluted, and in an ignorant moment I said so. But I stand corrected. I conceded and acknowledge that it was only the government that sent it on such an errand that was polluted. Let us compromise on that. I am glad to have it that way. For our flag could not well stand pollution, never having been used to it, but it is different with the administration.

Mark Twain.

1 comment:

bigfoot chester said...

Are you insinuating this is some sort of Liberal, Mark Twain lovin'commie blog? What is that, some sort of metaphor for what's going on today in Iraq?

Well played, sir, well played.