Sunday, May 21, 2006

Hudson's Annual Barn-Jam: a review

Big Bruce savours a sip of Jack Daniels










Host Tom-Cat Hudson and Dave LaStrange Kareoke-King Ronny, Professor Boylan,
contemplate the virtues of Jameson's and BFC, who is seriously reconsidering
that last Jello-Shot.


Hudson Party (sung to the tune of Ricky Nelson's Garden Party)

I went to a Hudson Party, the other night with some old friends,
to have some drinks and play guitar, maybe catch a little twing,
When I got to the Hudson party, out stepped Dave LaStrange,
he had a guitar in his one hand and in the other had a bottle of James

But it's alright now, I learned my lesson hard,
you can crash out in the barn or you can sleep out in the yard

There was a Strange Brew brewin', with Laura on the Mic,
playing all the funkey songs that everybody liked,
Saw Big Bruce and Buddy Hudson out in the Sparkin' Lot,
then Jean and Jay passed my way and poured me a double-shot

But it's alright now, I learned my lesson hard,
You can sleep out on the couch, or you can stretch out in your car

So I put on my ol' guitar, cuz' that's the reason I came,
played 'em all the old songs, that anybody named,
Played some old Hillbilly, played some funky Blues,
But when I mentioned Status Quo, I knew I was bound to lose

But it's alright now, learned my lesson well,
if you want to play 'Pictures of Matchstick Men', y'gonna have play it y'self

The sun was nearly coming up, figured it was time to go,
then Tom-Cat poured me another shot that put me to the floor,
If you go to a Hudson Party, I wish you a lot of luck,
but you better bring your sleeping bag, you'll probably wind up sleepin' in your truck

But it's alright now, I learnt my lesson well,
You can sleep upstairs with the dogs, or you can crash out with Ol' Tom
La in da da da, la in da da da, somethin' somethin' da da

I got invited to this years annual Hudson Barn Jam and, let me tell you, this reporter was very exited. I got my gear, loaded it into my brandy-new Saturn and hit the highway. I had the MC5 kicking out the jams and life was good. I arrived promptly at 7 and commenced to swillin'. Big Bruce got the evening started by shooting of his homemade cannon, and before long the usual line of suspects started arriving. The music started and, as usual it was top-shelf. Speaking of top-shelf, the Jack Daniels Select Buddy Hudson brought was most savory, as was the selection of well-timed late night snacks provided by Hostess Laura Hudson. Somewhere on into the night, whether it was from the Jello Shots or from the second-hand smoke from the Sparkin' Lot, things got a little 'Jimi Hendrixy', and I ended up sleeping with Appolo and Luna on the Dog-Bed. I awoke a couple of hours later, about breakfast, to see Ol' Tom, Dave and Ronny talking Geo politics out in the barn, still alive and kicking. But it was off to work for me, with fond memories, albeit vague ones, and very much looking forward to the next Hudson event.

BFC out!

5 comments:

Jennifer Finney Boylan said...

jeez o chester, I musta just missed you. I slept "that far" away from a pile a horse poop in my tent. Slept soundly, although at one point i was WOKEN UP BY MY OWN SNORING. I was not intending to crash when I did-- it was twenty to four and I just thought I'd lie down for a second. Boomo. Sorry if I left you in the Lurch there. I was awake by 6:30, took apart my stuff, it was down to dave and ol' tom and ronnie-- the latter passed out while I packed. tom and ronnie were talking politics while I packed. I realized as they talked I don't have a clue in my head about this whole immigration thing, aside from making fun of the idea of "Aliens" from space. I headed home, slept on and off a lot of the day.

Misseed having that last shot of Jameson with you. We'll always have paris!

You sounded first rate, as always. Just tremendous noise. I don't remember Matchstick Men-- but I do remember we did an EXTREMELY memorable "Shakedown Street," with you on bass.

Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart!

bigfoot chester said...

Yeah, by the way, sorry about Shakedown Street; A direct consequence of a trip to the ol' sparkin' lot. I might have sat that one out if I'd had better judgement, but alas, as my old Da' used to say, 'if a Bullfrog had wings, he wouldn't bump his arse on the rocks'.

bigfoot chester said...

Yeah, by the way, sorry about Shakedown Street; A direct consequence of a trip to the ol' sparkin' lot. I might have sat that one out if I'd had better judgement, but alas, as my old Da' used to say, 'if a Bullfrog had wings, he wouldn't bump his arse on the rocks'.

Jennifer Finney Boylan said...

I think we are better off not apologising for anything that happens after midnight.

And as john prine observes, "If heartache was commercials, we'd all be on TV."

J

Jennifer Finney Boylan said...

PS. The photo atop this entry also nicely shows off all of our sartorial styles: Ronnie as Smiling Buddha, Bighead Chester as Bottle-blower, and Jenny as-- well, I believe the technical term I heard was, "barn slut."